Wednesday 14 May 2008

Dogs with tails!!

Since the ban on tail docking I'm glad to say that we are starting to see traditionally docked breeds growing up WITH THEIR TAILS- yippee!!
Above is a picture of one of my patients, NELL SHAWCROSS- a beautiful young Boxer WITH A TAIL!! This picture was taken in my consult room, a place that Nell loves because she gets lots of cuddles and wags her tail non-stop!!





This is an excerpt from my ebook 'Puppy Power' concerning the docking of dogs' tails-

Docking involves removing the whole or part of a puppy’s tail when it is only 3-5 days old without the use of anaesthetic. Contrary to popular opinion, a puppy CAN feel pain at this age and will generally react with whimpering, squealing, wriggling the tail stump or whole body and sometimes urination.

You may wonder why such a practice would ever be condoned and the answer is that historically it was performed as a ‘prophylactic measure’ – to prevent the risk of the dog injuring its tail during future work. In more recent times it has become merely the fashion for certain breeds, such as the Rottweiler.

In England and Wales there is now a complete ban on the docking of dogs’ tails with the only exception being for a few particular types of working dog which require specific certification, or for certain medical treatment.

In Scotland there is a complete ban on tail docking and it is not allowed for any reason whatsoever.

In Northern Ireland docking can still be performed on puppies but for truly prophylactic reasons only, and not merely on request or just because a dog is of a particular breed or type.

In those parts of the UK where tail docking is still legal under certain circumstances, it is ONLY a qualified veterinary surgeon that may perform the procedure: the challenge, however, is often finding one who is willing to, since over 90% of vets strongly object to the practice.

Any animal naturally born with a tail relies on it for a number of things, including:

Ø balance;

Ø communication;

Ø demonstrating mood and emotion.

In my opinion there is no justifiable reason for performing tail docking as a prophylactic measure since the dog experiences evident disadvantages and no genuine benefit. I am especially saddened when I see dogs which have been docked for purely fashionable reasons. I think dogs are most beautiful and magnificent with their tails, as nature intended them and would encourage anyone considering this practice (within the legal framework) to please, think again.


copyright Shanson Ltd 2008

You can get a copy of my ebook on the website veterinaryblonde!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have a boxer dog with a docked tail, and i was brought up with a boxer dog in my family all my life (my parents have owned four boxers so far... one at a time).

I have to say, in my opinion, a boxer dog with a tail looks very strange!

My dog does the "good-morning" dance, the "yeaaah-it's-walkies-time" dance and the "hurray-you're-home" dance... and with a docked tail, it has to be the cutest sight ever!!

Indeed, i would imagine that WITH a tail he would be bruising some legs rather than the typical leaning against you for reassurance.

I love my dog!... even without a full-length tail... you can see him on my facebook profile at; http://profile.to/dynamicmike

Michelle Shanson- The Veterinary Blonde said...

I'm glad you love your dog and think his whole-body dances are cute.
I still think that tail docking is a mutilation with no benefit to the dog!
The more we see these breeds WITH tails, the less odd they'll look.
If you don't want a strong dog with a long tail that might bruise your legs, then don't have one!- simple as that!